Last Revised: May 2020
Types of Information We Collect.
|Types of Data/Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data
We collect the name, and contact information, of our donors and others with whom we may interact.
We use this information to contact our donors and communicate with them concerning normal administration such as billing.
|Cookies and First Party Tracking
We use this technology to make our website operate efficiently.
|Cookies and Third Party Tracking
We participate in behavior-based advertising, this means that a third party uses technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of our website so that they can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interests on our website, or on other websites. See our Cookie Section below for more information.
We use behavior-based advertising and website analytics to aid our mission and increase supporters.
We collect personal information, such as your age or location.
We use this information to understand users and donors.
If you receive email from us, we use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains and make purchases.
We use these tools how you interact with our communications to you.
If you apply for a job posting, or become an employee, we collect information necessary to process your application or to retain you as an employee. This may include, among other things, your Social Security Number. Providing this information is required for employment.
We use information about current employees to perform our contract of employment, or the anticipation of a contract of employment with you. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about our employees. We also use the information to have efficient staffing and work force operations.
If you provide us feedback or contact us for support we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content that you send to us, in order to reply.
We use this information to receive, and act upon, your feedback or issues.
When you sign up for one of our mailing lists we collect your email address or postal address.
We share information about our products and services with individuals that consent to receive such information.
We use surveys to understand your opinions and collect information relevant to our organization.
|Sweepstakes or Contests
When you participate in a sweepstakes or contest, we collect information about you which includes contact information to notify you if you are selected.
We use sweepstakes and contests to understand supporters better. In some contests, we are also required by law to collect information about those that enter into our sweepstakes.
We use technology to monitor how you interact with our website. This may include which links you click on, or information that you type into our online forms. This may also include information about your device or browser.
We use this technology to understand how you interact with our website to improve it, and to understand your preferences and interests in order to select offerings that you might find most useful. We also use it to detect and prevent fraud.
We collect information, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to a computer when the Internet is used), domain name, click-activity, referring website, and/or a date/time stamp for visitors.
We use this information for monitoring our networks and the visitors to our websites.
In addition to the information that we collect from you directly, we may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, our affiliates, or publicly available sources. For example, if you submit a job application, or become an employee, we may conduct a background check.
Use and Processing of Information.
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we use information in the following ways:
- To identify you when you visit our websites, communicate with us, or make a donation.
- To improve our web properties.
- To streamline the donation process.
- To conduct analytics.
- To respond to inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- To send materials that may relate to our mission, services, research, or those of our partners.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage our relationships.
What are cookies?
How are cookies used?
Cookies and other ad technology such as beacons, pixels, and tags help us serve relevant ads to you more effectively. They also help us provide aggregated auditing, research, and reporting for advertisers, understand and improve our service, and know when content has been shown to you. We may use third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may employ cookies and clear GIFs to measure advertising effectiveness. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of these third party advertising companies if you have any concerns. Note: Because your web browser may request advertisements and beacons directly from third party ad network servers, these networks can view, edit, or set third party cookies, just as if you had requested a web page from their site.
Unless you clear these cookies from your browser, we may use this information to:
- provide more relevant, interest-based advertising
- provide aggregate reports of ads activity to advertisers and websites hosting the ads
- help website and app owners understand how visitors engage with their sites or apps
- detect and defend against fraud and other risks to protect users and partners
- improve our products
Most browsers allow you to control and erase cookies through their settings preferences. However, if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may worsen your overall user experience, since it will no longer be personalized to you. Additionally, some features may work improperly or not at all. It may also stop you from saving customized settings.
Sharing of Information.
In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this policy, we disclose information in the following situations:
- Affiliates and Acquisitions. We may share information with our affiliated entities (e.g. parent entities, sister entities, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other entities under common control). If another entity acquires, or plans to acquire, JDCA or our assets, we will also share information with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrnts, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. We may also share your information in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies, or to comply with your request for the shipment of products to or the provision of services by a third party intermediary.
- Public. You may have the opportunity to post comments, or reviews, in a public forum. If you decide to submit information on these pages, that information may be publicly available.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with service providers. Among other things, service providers may help us to administer our website, conduct surveys, provide technical support, process payments, and assist in the fulfillment of orders.
JDCA will, if required by law, allow you to make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access to Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you. Note that California residents may be entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for direct marketing.
- Deletion of Your Personal Information. If required by law, we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes.
- Online Tracking. We do not currently recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "Do Not Track" instructions.
- Email Unsubscribe. You may choose to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send newsletters, surveys, research and other materials to you, as well as information from third parties. You can stop receiving emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive these emails, we may still send you service and donation related communications.
- Promotional Text Messages. If you receive a text message from us that contains promotional information, you can opt out of receiving future text messages by replying "STOP".
How We Protect Personal Information.
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information, we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
You may be permitted to create an account. When you do, you will be prompted to create a password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, and you are responsible for any access to or use of your account by someone else that has obtained your password, whether or not such access or use has been authorized by you. You should notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account.
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Transmission of Information to Other Countries. Your information may be processed in a foreign country where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country. By submitting your personal information to us, you acknowledge transfer, storage, and processing of your information in a country other than your country of residence including, but not necessarily limited to, the United States.
- Third Party Applications/Websites. We have no control over the privacy practicies of websites or applications that we do not own.
If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning our privacy practices, please contact us at the appropriate address below. We will attempt to respond to your requests and to provide you with additional privacy-related information.
JDCA 14 East 60th Street, Suite 208, NY, NY, 10022